Phil Letizia

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pages

So I was just walking around Barnes & Noble buying some books, and I heard one of the most aweful things.

Mother saying to 10 year old daughter, "I'm not buying you anymore books!"

My body seized. I will never tell someone how to raise their child, but please, please don't deprive her of what she actually wants! Books! Make it anything else! Take away her PSP, or her favorite toy, or send her to her room... so she can read!
Part of me thinks, there's no greater thing a child could say then, "Dad, can you buy this book for me?" I hope I'll say yes every time.

With that thought, here's a list of books I'm hoping to read this summer. It's amazing, after graduating from grad school, you would think I wouldn't want to read anymore, but its quite the opposite actually. I'm just excited I get to spend time reading what I want to read now.

I know I won't make it through all of these, but I'm going to try:

A Tale of Two Cities
- Charles Dickens
Eiger Dreams: Ventures among Men and Mountains
- Jon Krakauer
The Culturally Savvy Christian - Dick Staub
The Reason for God: Belief in the Age of Skepticism
- Timothy Keller
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas, an American Slave - written by himself
Captain Alatriste - Arturo Perez-Reverte
J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography - Humphrey Carpenter
Long Journey Home: A Guide to Your Search for the Meaning of Life - Os Guinness
A Secular Faith: Why Christianity Favors the Seperation of Church and State - Darryl Hart
The Shack - William Young
Hood: Book I of the King Raven Trilogy - Stephen Lawhead
Scarlet: Book II of the King Raven Trilogy - Stephen Lawhead

And a few more...
All while listening to Ray LaMontagne's Trouble, Coldplay's new release, and Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken's Ampersand EP.

Happy Reading!

2 Comments:

  • Interesting reading list. My list is, like, two books long. Something like, "Confederacy of Dunces" and several for my doctoral work. Right now I'm working through "Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening." Very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:25 PM  

  • Very cool. True or False I read Confederacy of Dunces in a Fred Hembree class at PBA. Great read! Good to see you a while back!

    By Blogger Philip Letizia, At 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home