Phil Letizia

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ascent/Descent

Weird.

I just found out if I do all my work, which granted is a lot, I will graduate from Reformed Theological Seminary in late May with a Masters of Divinity.

It feels like on the long Everest journey, I've left camp four, en route to the famed Hillary Step. The last great hurdle before ascending to the summit.

The long and winding journey has taken the better part of four years. Which isn't a terribly long time considering the standards and other things going on in my life. Even now though, approaching the greatest and perhaps most technical part of the journey, I have thoughts of coming down the mountain.

What will it be like? Will I be prepared for the rapid descent?

I sort of understand the feeling that great mountaineers encounter when they achieve a summit. The elation of the accomplishment only lasts for a moment, and then thoughts turn. What next?

That's what I'm thinking about now. Embarking on the last part of the climb, I'm beginning to think about the descent. What will I do? What can I do?

Anyone know another great mountain?

2 Comments:

  • yeah...life after school. It's a mountain you never totally conquer!
    Ann G.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:15 PM  

  • Well Phil, do you know the saying "I wish I knew then what I know now"? You will find that in this interesting thing we call life that keeping really valuable relationships is a mountain than you can never quite get to the top of no matter what you change about yourself. In knowing that I would say that achieving love in all forms being in friends, in marriage, etc. you have climbed the greatest mount ever. Because, without this thing we call love who are we really? A degree or success doesn't define you as a person it sure does help but only true happiness in our own skin by connection (feeling loved) are we really somebody. When I was your age it didn't mean that much but now I am blessed to be able to give love and be loved so that is my take buddy. It is my highest climb to date.
    Great news letter I look forward to it.
    Love you,
    Michele B.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home