Phil Letizia

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Call to Disarm

Every one I'm sure is aware of the Britney Spears situation. You can't be breathing and not have the story bombard you through every media form. You know when that friend of yours who's kind of crazy but you laugh off his antics, well because he's "Johnny"? That's what he does. And then it crosses the line, and it stops being funny and gets really serious. And sad.

Every time I see a Britney story, or see her on TV looking bewildered and confused, I think to myself...she's my age. She's a person who is young and yes, dumb, but she's my age.
Really young.

What are we doing?

Why does this interest us? Why does the demise of someone we all know bring ratings? I'm a media junkie, someone who loves all media forms and technologies. But this is the trade off. This is bored Americans failing to recognize their own problems by pointing and laughing at a young girl, who everyone in her life since the age of 6 has most likely taken advantage of.

So I pray we turn away. I pray and hope the people who care about her move her to a small town in Wyoming. Away from everything to heal and renew her life. I pray she doesn't kill herself. And I pray we look the other way, lay down the media weapons and gun sights and take a look at our own lives.

Turn the TV off.
Don't listen to them talk about her.
I won't anymore.

1 Comments:

  • Right on. Why do we revel in others' pain? Because it distracts us from our own. Time we dealt with ourselves, and others, with compassion and love.
    S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home