Phil Letizia

Thursday, February 07, 2008

In Treatment

There's a new show on HBO called In Treatment. It's a half-hour dramatic series that's unique in its presentation by airing 5 nights a week. The show centers around a therapist (Gabriel Byrne) treating patients each day. Each week night one particular patient is highlighted. 5 nights a week, 5 different patients, while the next week begins the rotation again with their second visits, and so on.

Recently I've been intrigued more by the realm of counseling and therapy. I have a few friends in Orlando who are in the Counseling program at Reformed Theological Seminary. Last semester I took an Introduction to Counseling class that went a long way to challenge what I believe about the subject, and in general, people. Sometimes on breaks from class, I'll sit and listen to my friends in the counseling program talk about their classes, or their training sessions, and be amazed at what they're learning.

I've been surprised at how much this show has captivated my attention. There's no frills, no action. It's literally a half-hour session with each patient, talking, digging deep.

More and more I believe...
Counseling is a good thing...
Therapy is a good thing, and I'm amazed by counselors and therapists.

One of my great friends in the world, and an elder at my church, is a mental health counselor in the public school system. His work fascinates me, and each time I pick his brain, I feel as if I my brain had been spun.

In Treatment.

Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home