Phil Letizia

Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Singularity

At some point during the history of my postings on this blog I've mentioned my fascination with space. That's right, I'm a space geek. I posted a few months back about how amazing it is that we blast men and women into space atop 200,000 gallons of rocket fuel and nobody really cares anymore.

I recently was watching a History Channel program on the scientific proof of the phenomenon called,
the black hole.

There are some places in our galaxy, and in the universe, where a star dies and matter collapses to infinite density and spacetime becomes extreme.
In other words, gravity begins to suck things down towards a space-like drain, bending the horizontal plains of space.

What!?

The surface of a black hole is what is called, "The Event Horizon". But what blew my mind, was what lies at the very center...

The Singularity.

A place where they believe the laws of the universe, the laws of physics, do not apply. Where time and space do not exist. Where information could possibly go in, and never come out.

The Singularity.

I believe God set the universe in motion with laws of balance and regulation. Everything moving in their right place, their right speed and motion. But could there be this one place in our galaxy where the rules don't apply?

What!?

I don't know. What I do know is that when my jaw drops in amazement, it is usually a result of creation. The beautiful peddles of a flower. A finished piece of art from the hands of a painter. The wonder of the violent ocean. The confusion of the ends of the universe, the suspension of time.

May God be praised, in the peddles of a flower, and in the deepest unknown of the black hole.

1 Comments:

  • I happen to be a "space geek" too!Ever since I was a child I had a fascination with the galaxies, stars, milky way etc. This is probably due in part to the fact that my mom introduced me to the Hayden Planetarium which since then has had a billion dollar renovation and is now called the Rose Center for Earth and Space at the American Museum of Natural History (check out the web site). It is a spectacular and breathtaking Space Show with an immersive theatre experience that launches you through a thrilling ride through space and time. A not to be missed opportunity next time you're in NYC!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home