Phil Letizia

Monday, October 01, 2007

A Floridian's Fall

For those of us who are legitimate Floridians, who have grown up here for our entire lives, understand a few things about life in south florida.

Tourists and snowbirds are a part of our lives. Always. We accept it, we silently deal with it driving down our local roads... Well maybe not silently.

Hurricanes are just a longer rainstorm for us. Some of us sick freaks actually like watching hurricane coverage as a circulating storm approaches our shores.

Something happens in late September, early October, when a true floridian knows that fall is here. Anyone else, from any place else, probably thinks its just raining, its still 80 degrees out. But there's this change in the air that I try to describe to those not from Florida, that's different. Not drastic, but subtle.

It's like biting sarcasm with a little bit of the edge shaved off. It is what it is. But we know. A true floridian can feel the difference, and it's what keeps us here year after year. These next 6 months, when the weather will be some of the best found on this here planet earth. It's what keeps me from moving to Chicago or Denver, although still likely options someday.

Welcome to the Florida Fall, it is upon us.

Some of you may be wondering, " He hasn't blogged in a month, and this is what he chooses to come out of the box with?" Legitimate thoughts I must say, but due to the fact that I'm sitting in a coffee shop watching the rain and the wind blow, and moping in my despondence over who the Miami Dolphins now are, lead me to write this incredibly boring post, that I apologize has wasted a few minutes of your day. Oh well, what are ya gonna do?...

2 Comments:

  • Love this post.

    Just yesterday I was trying to describe this exact weather pattern to someone, and he was not getting it. Of course, being that he's from upstate NY didn't help the situation any.

    By Blogger Patrick and Megan, At 10:21 AM  

  • I hear ya' man. I remember when that shift in weather came the day after hurricane Wilma two years ago: I didn't even mind being without power for over two weeks it was so beautiful outside.

    I'm also one of those native Floridian freaks that gets a sick thrill from peeking through the holes of our hurricane shutters during the storms and watching trees, roofing tiles and pets fly down the street at 130mph. Not something I wish for, but I do try to make the most of it when they come.

    By Blogger Ryan B, At 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home