Phil Letizia

Saturday, August 11, 2007

"To be Understood..."

Wednesday night I saw John Mayer live in West Palm Beach. Many of you know I'm a fan of Mayer's music, presentation, talent, and everything else. As usual, the show was great, but something unexpected stole my thoughts at the end.

This particular show was the last show of his summer tour, and also, the last show of a very long and big year for Mayer. At the end of the show, Mayer spent a few minutes talking about the ridiculousness of the past year, and gave his thanks to the hundreds of people who make his life happen. From tech people, roadies, agents, band members, Mayer said, "you may not like me, but the fact that you've been with me through all of this tells me that you understand me. And for me that's the greatest gift I could ever recieve."

To be understood. Mayer said is the greatest and most important affirmation and element of his life. It's what feeds him, what he longs and hopes for.

Many of you who read this blog are artists of some sort or another. Actually, most of you seem to either be writers or photographers, which is interesting. I do not claim to be an artist, only a person who hopefully thinks artistically sometimes.
I totally understand Mayer's desire, "to be understood." I feel it everytime I climb a stage or pulpit to preach the scriptures. But I also thought how interesting it is, that an artist of extreme talent, who gives his art as a self-expression of who he or she is, wraps his entire being in the reaction of others. If we the hearer, the watcher, the one viewing the art, understands the art, understands the artist, then the artist has been "understood", and feels affirmed and validated.

If I could dare say, I think this points to how beauty and art, although the outward flow of inward self-expression, is uniquely communal. If others cannot join in, comment on, or validate that which is so close to our beings, our art, our expression, what's the use? Can any artist truly ever say, "I do this just for myself"? Can they truly say "it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or not"? I'm not sure. I'm not an artist.

Those of you who are, I'd welcome your comments and discussion...

What does it mean, "to be understood".

3 Comments:

  • I was at that show too.

    Re: your question, I think anyone who says they don't care if people like their art are liars. Writer William Zinsser addresses this in his book "On Writing Well." To paraphrase, he says if you like someone's writing, it's not that you love their choice of words or syntax or grammar -- though they're important -- it's the person's style, which is an extension of their personality and character. So you take it personally if someone doesn't like you writing/painting/photos/music.

    Singer Erykah Badu said it best when she first performed her song "Tyrone" live: "Now keep in mind that I'm an artist. I'm sensitive about my s---."

    I think the problem comes in when your art is the primary source of validation or self-worth, which is why when he said being understood helps him sleep at night, I was like, 'Hmmm. I don't know about that Mr. Mayer.' Maybe I'm taking that part too seriously, but it made for interesting discussion on the way back that night w/ friends.

    By Blogger Fay, At 8:18 PM  

  • Thanks Fayola! I'm with ya. I think it's a valued attribute in an artist. The openness to share how they care about how their art is received. Now, I don't think its good if it drives you to where you can't sleep at night, which I hope is not the case for Mayer. But I'm always turned off by those artists who come off as if they're in no need for any feedback, criticism, or praise...greater the artist I think who can discuss their work and see it get better and better through it.

    By Blogger Philip Letizia, At 11:44 PM  

  • Great thoughts! It makes me think of the glory and pleasure God receives when we are in awe of Him...or his creation, his art. And yea, I think it is truly BS when people say they don't care what others think! Of course, that would be the ultimate for me, an off-the-charts relational/people person. I wish I could say that I only care what my Father thinks...maybe really appreciate when someone enjoys something I do, or is blessed by it, but truly only "care" if my Father is blessed by it...

    Ok, I'm rambling.

    Makes me think of that GK Chesterton quote: Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere.

    By Blogger Rebecca, At 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home