Phil Letizia

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Transatlanticism

Nothing quite fills that space. The side of you that hopes for the perfect. There's a part of you that knows all this is beautiful. All this is here, now, breathtaking.

"the atlantic was born today and i'll tell you how:
the clouds above opened up and let it out."

But there's this other side. This part that sees the breakdown. The disconnect. What happened? How could the gap between what is so beautiful and what is so vile be this wide? What can be done? Can this all be saved? Can I be saved?

"I was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere
when the water filled every hole.
and thousands upon thousands made an ocean,
making islands where no island should go.
oh no."

Is there something that can cross the distance? This vast wasteland of human depravity and mishap. This vile and cheap picture of something I know is out there. Something that once was. Something that will one day be again. Can mountains under seas cry out? Are they crying now? Is there a groaning for something to take place?

Can you feel it? Can you hear the longing?

The need for justice and beauty. For all things to be put to rights. For beauty to be restored.

Love bestowed.

Redemption given.

"those people were overjoyed; they took to their boats.
I thought it less like a lake and more like a moat.
the rhythm of my footsteps crossing flood lands to your door have been silenced forever more.
the distance is quite simply much too far for me to row
it seems farther than ever before
oh no."

O how I long! How we long! For the new. Not just recreated, but recreated so much fuller, so much plentiful, so much...

"I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer"

Pause...wait for it...

"I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer"

How long? How long should we sing this song? Someone asked.

Can you hear the longing? Can you hear the drums, the pulsing, the pain, the culmination, the fear and trembling? Can you hear the longing?

"so come on, come on
so come on, come on
so come on, come on"
(just keep singing it)

How long? Can you hear it?


**quoted lyrics from the song Transatlanticism, by Death Cab for Cutie

1 Comments:

  • What's up, man. It's crazy that I just happened to listen to that song on the way in to work this morning and was singing it in my head just before I saw your blog. Awesome song, good lyrics, and great reading your reflections. We should catch up soon.

    By Blogger Ryan B, At 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home