Phil Letizia

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Now and Forever

Artwork by Brian Morrison (c) 2005, "Now and Forever"


This week at my church we're looking at the story of Mephibosheth (I know, that's a ridiculous name). The son of Jonathan, friend of David, and grandson of Saul, the first king of Israel. If you're not familiar with it, check it out, it really is quite remarkable.

For fear of David the new King of Israel destroying Saul's family, Saul and Jonathan's servants take the young crippled boy away for safety. In 2 Samuel 9, David asks the incredible question, "Is there anyone in the house of Saul that I can show kindness to for Jonathan's sake?"

As the story moves a long, Mephibosheth is brought before the great king. As he falls on his face in front of the king at his mercy, David grants him unbelieveable mercy and grace, and adopts him into his house. The crippled grandon of Saul, David's enemy. The son of Jonathan, David's beloved friend. A young man incapable of taking care of himself, now through the grace of the king, sits at his table every night as a member of his family.

If you haven't read the story before, check out 2 Samuel 9. There's no doubt it's one of the most beautiful stories of brokeness meeting grace. A story of the fatherless finding adoption. As I've thought through the story the past few days, I've found my struggle is understanding that I sit at the table already. If I've experienced brokenness meeting grace, than I sit at his table. There's this really strong thing in me that feels as if some different, future version of myself will get me there and find grace. I can't for some reason believe that grace has found me. That he really loves me and accepts me, as a son. Not the expectations of me. Those who have children will have desires and hopes for their children. Goals for them to reach, that if we're honest, may define the relationship between a father and a son. Here, it's different, and the sooner I get this weird future version of me out of my head and embrace mercy and grace in my life now, that it's found me...well, look what happened to our lead in the story. He found himself forever in the house of the king.

Now he loves me.

Now he accepts me.

Now I sit at his table.

Forever I will remain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home