Phil Letizia

Friday, November 03, 2006

Political Dramedy

I have to admit something that I'm not sure I'm particularly proud of. I've become a political junkie the last few weeks leading up to the mid-term elections next Tuesday. Now, before some of my audience goes to the next blog because I'm talking politics, wait. I promise I'm not endorsing any candidates or even talking about any of the "X's" and "O's" of the political season. However, I am fascinated by everything about it. Over the last few years my politics have changed pretty significantly which has allowed me to really sit back, and like a fan whose favorite team has been knocked out of the playoffs early, watch the final festivities in pure enjoyment, popcorn and beer in hand. I mean come on!? This is great comedy! This is great drama! Perhaps better than any other TV show could provide, well save LOST of course.

From the backbiting, to the talking points, it's all become this vicious circle of "what the hell is anybody really even saying!?" Senators sticking their proverbial foots in their mouths, radio hosts' insanely huge egos, and two candidates having a mini-showdown in front of the cameras because one invaded the others "turf". This season has it all.

Before you think I'm not taking such an important time in our country seriously enough, don't worry. I realize there are huge issues at stake. From science, "when does life begin?", to economics, and lets not forget the quagmire in the middle east. So I will say this. If you're able to vote. Vote. I don't care who you vote for. Vote your conscience. When you do that, all these talking points you hear from both sides that are as predictable as a bad romantic comedy go away, and some real thinking happens.

Think.

Think for yourself. then vote, and we'll all be better for it.

I swear. If I hear one more interview where the host gets a textbook democratic answer, and then a textbook republican answer from his two guests, neither one able to ever think for themselves, I'll punch the next cat I see in the face. (what? Did he just say that?) But then I'll just spill the popcorn all over myself and miss the cool ending next Tuesday night.

Think for yourself.

Vote.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home