Phil Letizia

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deep Green Conversation

The color Green is everywhere. Malls, restaurants, TV commercials, everyone is trying to bring Green into their world. So much so that "being green" in my mind has become more of a fashionable marketing ploy than actual active environmental conservation.

For a host of reasons Christians have struggled with how to position themselves on the issue of the environment. Perhaps because much of Evangelicalism has aligned themselves with conservative politics which has always been seen as anti-environment, whether fair or unfair. Wherever you find yourself on the political pendulum, balance is always the center mark.

I went surfing the other day when Tropical Storm Fay came ashore, and maybe that's why this article I read today from Christian Buckley caught my eye. It's one of the more balanced approaches to the environment from a Christian I've ever read.

We all seem to go one way or the other on this issue. Let me know what you think.

Read it here:: Touching God in the Waves

3 Comments:

  • I skimmed Buckley's article previously. I actually have that magazine (just that issue in particular). There is a whole movement of evangelicals that are sick of the partisan politics of the environment, most notably because we are stewards of the earth despite whether we come from the Left or the Right.

    I think if you google creation care, a website for evangelicals comes up that takes a more moderate to centrist approach. This should be a no-brainer for Christians, but some Christians value "free enterprise" more than ecology (you see, if we take a stand on the environment, then it begs the question of what to do about regulating businesses in areas of green industry; if you're a Republican than regulation is a big no-no. . . fortunately for me, I switched parties a long time ago).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:46 PM  

  • That website I alluded to is http://www.creationcare.org/

    It's the page from the Evangelical Environmental Network.

    -Joe LaGuardia
    Blessings.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:49 PM  

  • Thanks Joe,
    Good to hear from you. What I liked so much about Buckley was his "compassionate balance". I just made that term up. There was just something in his tone that really resonated with me. As if he took a deep breath before he put his thoughts down. So much of our political banter in the media is so reactionary and hostile and Christians get sucked into it and play the same game. This seemed different.

    By Blogger Philip Letizia, At 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home