Phil Letizia

Friday, December 15, 2006

The Greatest

Last saturday night I accomplished in part, one of my dreams. I was ringside for a fight. There's something about boxing. It truly is the "sweet science". Go ahead, call me old fashioned, call me barbaric. Boxing is the ultimate gladiator sport. One on one, man on man. No where to go, no where to hide. Slowly but surely your opponent determines your weaknesses, and picks them apart. He waits. He toys. Finally, you let your shoulder fly open a bit too far, and...

I'm telling you, there is nothing like seeing a man fall to the mat.

And for all those who try to convince me of the greatness of the Ultimate Fighting Championships, save it. It's not boxing, it's a fad. The "sweet science" is just that, a science, an art, a strategy.

Watching up-and-coming talents from the area, as well as former greats perform, I was reminded of the one and only. The man who captivated a nation. A man whose religious beliefs alienated some, inspired others, but everyone embraced him. It was his brash confidence. His command of a crowd. His social awareness, and his boyish smile. He truly was the greatest, and the last gladiator.

The words of the greatest champion, Muhammed Ali:

"A rooster crows only when it sees the light. Put him in the dark and he'll never crow. I have seen the light and I'm crowing."

"Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own."

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."

"I am the greatest. Not only do I knock em out, I pick the round!"

"I figure I'll be champ for about ten years and then I'll let my brother take over - like the Kennedys down in Washington."

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark."

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

- I could go on. Perhaps another time. Long live the "double greatest"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home