Phil Letizia

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Looking for Life in Haiti - Pt. I


Yesterday I returned from 6 days in Haiti. My plan is to give two postings on my trip. The first will be a detailed account of where we went, what we saw, and what we did, day by day. The second post will be my attempt at putting together my muddled and horrified thoughts on our journey, the beautiful children, and the seemingly impossible situation in Haiti. I eagerly await your feedback.

Sunday morning, August 6 - Miami - Sitting in the airport, waiting to board an airplane bound for Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Left my bag for literally 5 mins to buy a soda, and was greeted on my return to my belongings by 3 MIA security personnel who scolded me for leaving it. My fault, considering the times we live in. I sit, pondering whether or not I'm prepared to deal with what I might see in the next few days.

Late, Sunday night, August 6 - Dabajon, Domincan Republic - After arriving in Santo Domingo, where we met Willio Joseph, Pastor and leader of the Orphanage on the Rock in Ouanaminthe, Haiti, we embarked on a 5 hour drive through the DR, to the Northwest corner of the country, the border town of Dabajon. Tonight we actually sleep in a hotel with AC. The last we will see for a few days I'm sure. We found an old lady selling chicken and fried tostones on the side of the road. Bought all she had, hope I don't get sick. Tomorrow we cross the border.

Monday, August 7 - Ounaminthe, Haiti - This morning we drove through market day in Dabajon. Felt like a scene from "The Constant Gardener". People everywhere. Willio tells us on market days, mondays and fridays, Haitians can cross the border freely to buy and sell. I realized today, that "personal space", is an American invention. What they say about crossing the border of the Domincan and Haiti, is absolutely true. It's stunning the difference. As we arrived at the Orphanage in Ouanaminthe (actually a suare cement block hut/house), we were greeted by 18 Haitian orphans singing "welcome to you" in English. 20 people tonight will sleep in a 750 ft. square block house, no electric, no bathrooms, no running water. Lord, help me get through the night with the heat.



Tuesday, August 8 - Ouanaminthe, Haiti - Incredible. Today I saw things I never thought I would see. One of the most intense and amazing days of my life. We walked through the market in Ouanaminthe. Words can't describe what we saw there. Naked children everywhere you turn. Filth, selling anything to eat. Food sold, next to a 6 ft high pile of garbage 100 yrds long. What could I say to someone, for them to understand what we saw? How much more should we do for the poor in the states? They're not that far away. There's nothing like this. Keep us safe Lord.

Wednesday, August 9 - Ounaminthe, Haiti - Saw a man today pushing a slaughtered cow in a wheel barrel. Another man charged him with a broken bottle. Willio stepped in, stopped a murder on the streets of Ouanaminthe for a cow. This morning we drove with 15 of the kids in the back of a truck out to a place called, "the woods". About 20 miles outside the town on the road to Cape Haitian and Port Au Prince. Just one road. It's not a road. Drove for an hr and a half. to go 20 miles. Saw the countryside. Dirt. Saw a family of 7, no clothes, and our girls gave them the stuffed animals we brought them. Amazing compassion. Ate chicken today for lunch that i watched die at the hands of an older Haitian grandmother. Fresh. - After devotion tonight - we went on a night walk - two words: Voodoo Rally.

Thursday, August 10 - Ounaminthe, Haiti - Santo Domingo, DR - Preached on the fly to 50 Haitians today. Spoke from Luke 10. First time with a translator. Felt foolish. Humbled. Time to leave Haiti. We can hear the kids crying, sobbing as we walked away, one last time through Ouanaminthe. As we walk across the landbridge from Haiti to the DR, I'm struck by the drastic difference. Streets, sidewalks, business. Every child has clothes and shoes on. In Haiti they're naked and wandering. Take a 5 hr bus ride across the DR that cost only $10. - I end my trip to the island of Hispanola by drinking Presidente's in a crappy hotel bar, while speaking broken spanish to a cuban refugee, with Robbie Brumberg. Thats awesome.

Friday, August 11 - Santo Domingo, DR - Miami - drink a few more Presidente's for good measure. Fly Home.

- Thoughts in my second post coming tomorrow.

3 Comments:

  • Thanks for blogging in this shotgun journal style. I'm looking forward to sitting at Brew hearing some details. I'm sure our Lord taught you tons, do share. Glad you're home, I heard worship was powerful today. Thanks in my absense,
    Teddy

    By Blogger TeddyCook, At 12:50 PM  

  • A life changing experience I'm sure, looking forward to hearing more.

    By Blogger Kirstin, At 6:33 AM  

  • Hello,

    I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here philletizia.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me show you one truth. Recent Research displays that about 70% of all United States adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

    About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home